Monday, November 25, 2013

relayfoods.com

This past year our growing season was awful, actually it was nonexistent.  In March we prayerfully decided to put our house on the market.  We knew that we had outgrown our little space and we both have dreams of land and water!  Long story short we found our dream home - however we were out bid (it was a foreclosure) and our home did not sell.......

In the midst of all of that we decided it was not in our best interest to plant our normal garden - this was a HARD decision.  We have had a 30 x 60 garden for the last 7 years that we have been together with everything from tomatoes, corn, pumpkins, squash, asparagus, cucumbers, beans, every pepper imaginable, to watermelon and cantaloupe.....you name it we had.  I HATE buying veggies at our local Food Lion - you never know where they are from and the quality just isn't the same as local/home grown.

Ok so enough of my rant....and to the meat of this post.  In October I stumbled across relay foods.  Relay foods "Relay is the online grocery store where you'll find stuff you need from the best local store, restaurants, and farms right in your own neighborhood.  We've partnered with folks you already know to provide all your grocery shopping needs - from basics, to speciality foods, to local produce, to....you name it!".  I decided to give it a try!  They were advertising a $1 special on their local bounty share.  I simply went to their website - selected to local bounty share - entered my code and selected my pickup location.  There were SOOOO many options for pickup.  All very convenient.  I selected one that was close to work so I could just grab it on my way home (saving fuel and helping the environment!).


Local Bounty Share

Pie Pumpkin from Harvest Time Farm
Weyers Cave, VA

Apples and Asian Pears from Saunders Brothers Orchard
Piney River, VA

Salad Greens from Baywater Greens
Salisbury, MD

Assorted Potatoes from Heartland Harvest
Mount Solon, VA

Sweet Potatoes from Kirby Farms
Mechanicsville, VA

Apple Cider from Showalter's Orchard
Timberville, VA

Winter Squash and Braising Greens from Local Food Hub
Ivy, VA

***I loved knowing exactly where my food came from!!




Comparison picture - left RelayFoods bounty share Pie Pumpkin from Harvest Time Farm, right Pie Pumpkin from local Food Lion (all pretty and shiny - sprayed with who knows what and grown who knows where!)


I enjoyed my veggies so much that I decided to try their Artisan Cuts 5-day dinner pack - mine included sausage, chicken breasts, thighs, flank steak and pork chops.  There is NO comparison to the taste.  It is fresh and hearty.  So far I have cooked the pork chops (ranch chops in the crock pot), chicken things (spicy things with garlic rice) and the chicken breasts (chicken teriyaki).  

Why I love relay foods:
1. fresh 
2. local
3. exposure to new foods/veggies/meats
3. you never know what you exactly get (with the bounty share)
4. couldn't beat it for $1.02! (used code "1010")

I used code "1010" for my first box of veggies and below is a referral code if you would like to try relay foods yourself!  Enjoy and leave a message if you have already tried or once you do!



No comments:

Post a Comment